Fw: Fw: [Sca-cooks] How the turkey got its name ...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 9 09:58:09 PST 2004

Also sprach Phlip:
>Fwded this along to Gene Anderson, and here's his comments:

>  > And, for
>  > that matter, horseradish isn't a radish and has nothing to do with
>>  horses.

No, but it's close enough to a radish in flavor and texture for
English-speakers to use the term "horse" in connection with it, as in
horse chestnuts, horse mushrooms, horse mackerel (actually some kinda
amberjack, I think), etc., all denoting large, coarse-textured items,
and not necessarily intended for human consumption. There's an
explainable trend at work here, such as it is.

>   Ambrose Bierce in the Devil's Dictionary finishes up a similar
>>  list with the observation that "toad in the hole does not include a toad,
>>  and riz de veau a la financiere is not the head of a calf prepared
>>  according to the recipe of a she-banker."

That would be tete de veau a la financiere. Ris (not riz, which is
rice) de veau are sweetbreads. I assumed that the gender has to agree
with the main noun, no?

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04