[Sca-cooks] You know you're in the SCA when... (was Hardliquor in period recipes, was Adamantius pants)

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Dec 9 11:34:54 PST 2004

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:

> Also sprach rtanhil:
> >The following quoted reference is included only to
> >illustrate a point I find amusing.

[snip]

> >As a group, we expect footnoted discussions.

[snip]

> >Berelinde
>
> These are good points. I like to look at it as working
> with the best information we can get at any given time,
> and freely sharing the level of that information's
> quality.

Thanks for an elegant statement/summation.

> So, if all we can come up with is, "I read it in a book,"
> there's no shame in that. On the other hand, if we can
> provide better documentation when trying to make a point,
> so much the better, and if the other person's
> documentation trumps my "read it in a book," well,
> kest lah gwerry.

Also a good summary ... good balance.

[snip]

> I'm sure it has something to do with my pants...

Warning! ... Warning! ... Danger ahead.  <g>

> I think the greater danger, from a reasoning standpoint,
> comes when we accept some documented concept as empirical
> fact because we A) read it in a book, or B) read it in
> 287 books, and immediately dismiss the 288th book which
> disagrees with the other 287.

Yes if we do a blind acceptance without any review.

[snip]

> ... and [not] react to such a request as if someone had
> said, "Hey, Stultus Maximus, you're wrong and here's
> where the whole world finds out about it."
>
> Do people like that name, BTW? Sometimes I think of
> changing mine...

A brave idea.  Perhaps some market research ab initium.

> Adamantius

I looked up that word 'stultus' and found ...

"Latin Language Swear Words with English Translation";
http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/latin.htm

Yes, 'stultus' is there.

After a 31.73 second review, my favorite was

"Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant"

"May barbarians invade your personal space"

Special Disclaimer: (1) No assurances can be given as to
the accuracy and authenticity of the translations nor to
the historical authenticity of the [purported] insults.

(2) The InsultMonger web site uses words with stronger
connotations than the word 'pants' -- persons who object
to the use of 'pants' in our discussions should do a
careful review of their options.  i.e. don't go there.

[snip]

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick