[Sca-cooks] Yonah Shimmel's

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Fri Dec 10 04:35:12 PST 2004

Radei Drchevich wrote:

> >Nu? ... "So, what's a knish", he says ...

[snip]

> >Oh, you want you should know about "nu" -- later ask.
> >
> So, Nu, You think only goyem here?

Not sure ... in any case, possibly trainable.  Nu?  <g>

> Going maybe for a mitzva?

Always.

I was thinking of the definition given in
"Yiddish for Yankees or, Funny, You Don't Look Gentile"
(Yes! ... the actual title! IOW, G'nossen tsum emess! <g> )
http://www.yiddishforyankees.com/

Which may be found (sometimes) at
http://www.alibris.com or
http://www.amazon.com

For an online reference,

>From the "List of Yiddish Words and Expressions"
http://www.pass.to/glossary/Default.htm

[snip]

Vincenzo
(not Jewish -- but collects and shares Yiddish Words -- an
avocation that began while working in the garment district;
is from the Italian Renaissance -- in theory anyway;
at times, teaches/wears a Feileadh Mor -- Great Kilt;
... the backstory to "connect those dots" is a very big
Megillah!)

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick