[Sca-cooks] Yonah Shimmel's

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 8 15:30:31 PST 2004

Adamantius mentioned:
> Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
> > I thought this venerable institution might have been a thing of mere
> > memory. But Google turned up:
> >
> > Since 1910
> > Yonah Shimmel's Knishery
> > 1-212-477-2858
> > LOWER EAST SIDE
> > 137 E. Houston, btwn 1st & 2nd Ave
> > http://knishery.com/
>
> > Anahita
> > not planning on ordering Yonah Shimmel's knishes on-line
>
> It looks like YS may have simply licensed the name, and maybe the
> recipes, which can be adapted to some extent for mass production. And
> that's fine for people who don't have other options, but this may not
> mean that the knishes at Schimmel's have changed much.
So, what *is* a "knish"? I went to the site but there isn't any verbal
description, just the photos. I guess they expect that anyone looking
for the site knows what they are. Are these stuffed biscuits? Or
something more like a stuffed potato pancake or dumpling? This is a
traditional Jewish food, right?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas