[Sca-cooks] Yonah Shimmel's

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Dec 8 15:55:38 PST 2004

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>So, what *is* a "knish"? I went to the site but there isn't any
>verbal description, just the photos. I guess they expect that anyone
>looking for the site knows what they are. Are these stuffed
>biscuits? Or something more like a stuffed potato pancake or
>dumpling? This is a traditional Jewish food, right?

Yes. Probably Russian Jewish, but I don't know that for sure. They
bear some similarity to the kasha-filled piroshkies (or was it
pirogs?) mentioned in the Domestroi, but in modern usage a knish is a
filled pastry, baked or fried, usually in an eggy unleavened dough.
This has been my experience; I'm sure someone will trot out 387
exceptions to this.

Years ago, the knishes that were commonly seen for sale or made at
home (again, in my experience) would be filled with things like
mashed potato and onion, buckwheat kasha, with or without mushrooms,
minced meat (cooked before chopping, so a hashy consistency rather
than hamburger-ey), and chopped liver. Maybe chopped cabbage. These
are all still fairly common, but I get the impression that there are
now more vegetarian options commonly available (not that there
weren't any before) -- things like spinach are, as far as I know,
either a recent development or more well-known and popular than they
used to be.

Most of the knishes I've seen have been either vaguely
hockey-puck-shaped (and about that size), or rectangular, which
latter may be a function of mass production...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04