[Sca-cooks] mustards

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Fri Dec 10 05:47:34 PST 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Adamantius replied:

> > I think it's prepared mustard, and it may be just the
> > plain mustard-and-water "hot mustard" which you often
> > find in pubs (McSorley's, the oldest beer bar in New
> > York City and in continuous operation since 1825, used
> > to make their mustard, back when they served food,
> > with their light ale).  Think of the mustard they serve
> > in Chinese restaurants ...

And astonishingly hot!  I still remember that night ...
errr ... mumble mumble ... years ago ... and when we got
to McSorley's, I was hungry and ordered a liverwurst on
rye with onion and mustard (the last two were very hot!)
-- it really capped the evening ... no, that's not quite
right, it sort of ... uncapped ... everything.  <g>

> > But water was probably as common a liquid to use in
> > England at that time as vinegar...

> In England, when? I was thinking that water would have
> to be boiled, otherwise you would be taking a chance
> on using water which was contaminated with microbes.

'microbes' ... yeah ... and _everything_ else.

Stefan, how could they have generally known about health
hazards of water in the Renaissance?  In Holland, about
1595 the microscope was invented by Zacharias Jansenn
(his business was grinding lenses for eyeglasses).  Later,
Anton van Leeuwenhoek began to make microscopes as a hobby.

I recall reading a comment (IIRC, NY Times) that modern
archeological examination of period cesspools (coprolites)
in London showed that the residents played host to every
parasite known to man.

You can find related information in the florilegium
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/p-privies-msg.html

... including the great line,

	"(Ahhh, the not unmixed joys of archeology! :)."

Stefan, why does this page display as Black on Black in
my browser?

[snip]

> whether the instructions call for boiling it.

I recall being told at Brewer's Collegium that brewers
preferred the use of water from the River Themes because
of it's 'great settling power' after boiling.

This procedure was mostly to get the mud and sediment out.

[snip]

> Stefan

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick