[Sca-cooks] mustards

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Dec 10 06:36:38 PST 2004

> > In England, when? I was thinking that water would have
> > to be boiled, otherwise you would be taking a chance
> > on using water which was contaminated with microbes.
>
> 'microbes' ... yeah ... and _everything_ else.
>
> Stefan, how could they have generally known about health
> hazards of water in the Renaissance?  In Holland, about
> 1595 the microscope was invented by Zacharias Jansenn
> (his business was grinding lenses for eyeglasses).  Later,
> Anton van Leeuwenhoek began to make microscopes as a hobby.

Well, bad water tends to lead with acute directness to dysentery, which
tends to give people a clue. The
association of standing water or bad smelling water in particular with
health risks were known.

Just because we don't know _why_ something is bad for people doesn't
necessarily mean we can't see when it causes problems.

> I recall reading a comment (IIRC, NY Times) that modern
> archeological examination of period cesspools (coprolites)
> in London showed that the residents played host to every
> parasite known to man.

Well, yes. But the point is that you want to keep a nice balance of
those sorts of things. That's why there are so many herbs known in
period for de-worming people. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_