[Sca-cooks] Weird Kitchen Science: Fascinating color-shift phemonenon...

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 10 06:15:43 PST 2004

Careful!

 From a Colorado State extension website:

*Garlic.* If desired for flavor, use mature, fully-dried, white-skinned
garlic, free of blemishes. Garlic contains a water-soluble pigment that
may turn blue or purple. A blue-green color may develop in pickles made
with stored red-skinned garlic. Immature garlic, garlic that is not
fully dry, or red-skinned varieties may turn blue, purple or blue-green.
/*Except in the case of a bright blue-green color */resulting from
abnormally high concentrations of copper-sulfate, such color changes do
not indicate the presence of harmful substances. (emphasis is mine)

Aoghann