[Sca-cooks] Weird Kitchen Science: Fascinating color-shift phemonenon...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 10 07:44:57 PST 2004

Also sprach Bill Fisher:
>On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:33:44 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
><adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  So, there I am caramelizing twelve pounds of onion/garlic/ginger
>>  puree, and as I say, when I make a pint of this stuff I'm used to the
>>  various sulphur compounds in the onion reacting with either the
>>  ginger and/or the iron pan to produce a slight bluish-green color
>>  which goes away as the product cooks (it turns grey, then brown, then
>>  sorta reddish). I left the kitchen for a few minutes with my pans on
>>  low heat, and came back to find an astonishingly bright aquamarine
>>  blue-green stuff in the pans.
>
>Thanks for the curry building blocks....I will use that this weekend.

There used to be a tiny Burmese take-out food shop -- I can't even
really call them a restaurant, and I don't even remember if they had
even one table for eating, but I doubt it -- in my neighborhood, and
I learned a lot from watching the [usually only one] cook at work.
One was that while there're a million curry variations, this was
probably my favorite, and the basis for a family of curries that they
produced (and then there were several others that were totally
unrelated). This basic paste seemed to be used for shrimp, cod or
other firm fish, tomato, and, I think, maybe spinach (which latter,
as I recall, probably had a little tamarind in there, too). The
shrimp curry totally kicked keister, though, although the shrimp were
always more well-cooked than I liked them... sort of stewed, but this
was probably more a desired effect from the cook's standpoint than
any competence issue. Rather hard and rubbery in texture, but a
wonderful, concentrated flavor. You sort of have to understand the
cuisine, and not necessarily employ the typical Western standard
which says that shrimp should be briefly cooked and there should not
be oil pooling on top of your food. These were both definite pluses
in this case, because a half-cup of this stuff with a bowl of white
rice was pretty much a flavor explosion.

>Hrm, blenderized onions plus water = sulfuric acid + iron pan....
>
>I don't have a clue......
>
>Maybe the onions came from an area with really high soil sulfur content?
>
>Do other onions turn colors in your pans?
>
>Do they do that in other pans?......do you have other pans?

Actually, I was planning on leaving it all in the crockpot overnight,
but there was more mixture than the crockpot would hold, so I started
some in more traditional fashion in an iron skillet (and I suspect
iron pans in Myanmar would not be unusual). The crockpot is the usual
glazed stoneware, and I got that effect (I have photos!) in both
vessels, so I'm now down to assuming iron is probably not an issue.
I'm thinking the ginger now, since I;ve never seen anything like this
in simple onion-garlic combinations.

>Were you wearing pants?

Yep. I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago... besides,
I've been a parent too long to do that sort of thing.

>Did they change color?

Nah, I lucked out, in spite of not wearing an apron. But then I have
not yet added turmeric to the paste, and it is the Traditional Oily
Turmeric Explosion that comes with most of my curry experiences that
has the R&D divisions of the big laundry detergent manufacturers
staying awake nights.

>  > I haven't seen any evidence to suggest this is either unnatural or
>>  dangerous (if I'd been using an unlined copper or aluminum pan, I'd
>>  be worried), but man, this was bright for a food product not
>>  deliberately colored that way.
>>
>>  Will advise if there's an explosion or anything...
>>
>>  Adamantius
>
>I'm curious how they turned out...

Well, as far as I know, no neighbors have complained to building
management or contacted the police about Disturbing Odors, but it
could come at any time. I have the air conditioner exhaust fan on...

My goal state is to have about two gallons of reduced curry "sauce"
(no one who is not a European really admits to the existence of such
a thing -- well, maybe some Chinese cooks -- but you don't make a
sauce, you make a paste, and the sauce makes itself when you cook
juicy foods in it) in an intermediate stage between generic paste and
finished seafood curry. I figure I can safely pressure can this: it's
low-acid even with tomatoes added. The plan is curry in a hurry:
empty the jar of sauce base into a pan with some oil, bring to a
simmer, add raw shrimp or fish, or veg, and "fry" all until cooked.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04