[Sca-cooks] Weird Kitchen Science: Fascinating color-shift phemonenon...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 11:46:07 PST 2004

I know i am in the SCA because the hard liquor in Adamantius' pants wrote:
>My goal state is to have about two gallons of reduced curry "sauce"
>(no one who is not a European really admits to the existence of such
>a thing -- well, maybe some Chinese cooks -- but you don't make a
>sauce, you make a paste, and the sauce makes itself when you cook
>juicy foods in it) in an intermediate stage between generic paste and
>finished seafood curry.

I think the Thais admit to "curry" pastes, too, although they aren't
called "curry" - the Thai word for these spice pastes is gaeng.

There's a mild yellow one called gaeng kari, which i think is based
on a Chinese curry powder. I prefer the red or green, colored
primarily by chilies of the appropriate color - the green contains
some fresh green herbs as well.

Anahita
who has made many a Thai curry paste, but never 2 gallons worth,
never frozen one, and never had one turn aquamarine blue.