[Sca-cooks] Maize

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 10 06:39:40 PST 2004

Maize was in cultivation in the Ottoman Empire in the 16th Century.  There
is a late 16th Century reference (not yet verified by me) where a traveller
describes maize growing in Turkey.

It was encountered during the first voyage of Columbus (the diary of
Columbus's first voyage) and was probably brought back to Spain at that time
(Peter Martyr may provide corroboration).  The speculation is that during
the first quarter of the 16th Century it passed through Genoa or Venice to
the Ottomans and into cultivation.

Maize was possibly introduced into Central Europe during the Turkish
incursion into Hungary and the first siege of Vienna.

The reference to Turkisch Korn occurs in Leonard Fuchs's herbal of 1543 (or
1545 or 1546, depending on which citation you use).  This suggests that it
was probably in cultivation in Turkey at that time.  There is a webbed
version of the illustrations at Yale Medical and the text (facsimile and
difficult to read) is available through a French website (IIRC).  Maize was
being cultivated in gardens in some parts of German by the time Fuchs wrote
about it.

Bear

From: "Radei Drchevich" <radei at hotmail.com>