[Sca-cooks] Weird Kitchen Science: Fascinatingcolor-shiftphemonenon...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 10 16:57:06 PST 2004

Also sprach Martin G. Diehl:
>Phlip wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>  > Anahita
>>  > who has made many a Thai curry paste, but never 2
>>  > gallons worth, never frozen one, and never had one
>>  > turn aquamarine blue.
>>
>>  Well, he wasn't kidding. Anyone who wants to see the
>>  pictures, they're now up at:
>>
>>  http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Photos/Food/Brown_Paste.jpg
>>  http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Photos/Food/Green_Paste.jpg
>>  http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Photos/Food/Green_On_Brown.jpg
>
>>  Saint Phlip,
>
>WOW! ... That last one looks like an 'escape in progress'.
>
>Similar to this [overconfident] windoze shutdown screen

The green-on-brown was just the iron pan of browned paste wherein I
had plopped a dollop of the green stuff in order to show the contrast
between the two.  As the stuff in the pan cooked down, I eventually
got to the point where I could combine the reasonably-well-browned
stuff with the contents of the crockpot, and left it overnight. In
the morning it was pretty nicely caramelized.

I took the photos mostly because the effect was so astonishing I
thought people wouldn't believe it...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04