[Sca-cooks] Weird Kitchen Science: Fascinatingcolor-shiftphemonenon...

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 17:28:05 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:57:06 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> The green-on-brown was just the iron pan of browned paste wherein I
> had plopped a dollop of the green stuff in order to show the contrast
> between the two.  As the stuff in the pan cooked down, I eventually
> got to the point where I could combine the reasonably-well-browned
> stuff with the contents of the crockpot, and left it overnight. In
> the morning it was pretty nicely caramelized.
>
> I took the photos mostly because the effect was so astonishing I
> thought people wouldn't believe it...
>
> Adamantius
> --

I didn't take a picture of the starter I made over the weekend.  It
certainly picked up things from the air in my apartment.

I made a standard flour/water sourdough starter in the morning
when I got home from work,  I bought the water from the store
'cause my tap water just pain sucks, I left it in a pyrex bowl on
the counter, covered with a clean towel (freshly laundered).

My roomate woke me up at 5pm to tell me "hey you left your
oatmeal out ofn the counter and it smells really bad."

My roomate thinks garlic smells really bad.  So I shuffled out to the kitchen
in my jammies after another hour, and lo and behold it stunk.

I poked at my starter and it stunk worse.  So I held my nose and got
a stick and dug around in it.  It was growing mold.  Nice happy green
mold, not a lot of it, just enough to make it stink,

I had been asleep maybe 8 hours, happily dreaming of writing router
interface configurations in latin or spanish.

So yeah, I'll be moving when my lease is up.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson