[Sca-cooks] Weird Kitchen Science: Fascinating color-shift phemonenon...

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 17:39:11 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:46:07 -0800, lilinah at earthlink.net
<lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I know i am in the SCA because the hard liquor in Adamantius' pants wrote:
> >My goal state is to have about two gallons of reduced curry "sauce"
> >(no one who is not a European really admits to the existence of such
> >a thing -- well, maybe some Chinese cooks -- but you don't make a
> >sauce, you make a paste, and the sauce makes itself when you cook
> >juicy foods in it) in an intermediate stage between generic paste and
> >finished seafood curry.
>
> I think the Thais admit to "curry" pastes, too, although they aren't
> called "curry" - the Thai word for these spice pastes is gaeng.
>
> There's a mild yellow one called gaeng kari, which i think is based
> on a Chinese curry powder. I prefer the red or green, colored
> primarily by chilies of the appropriate color - the green contains
> some fresh green herbs as well.
>
> Anahita

I cook with a similar combination of ingredients a good chunk of the time
and I have never had it turn that color either.

I think I  remember working on a feast where I had to cut a HUGE mess of
frozen onions by machine (one of the big hobart grinder attachments
and the onions
had been left out in the cold)  and I think they turned blue when they
were cooked.

They also hit me like tear gas when they started to thaw in the
catching bin under
grinder.  I remember that part, I had just finished and then suddenly
couldn't see.

I gotta remember to heat can stuff to make my life easier.  I can see it as a
time saver for some event stuff as well.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson