[Sca-cooks] Weird Kitchen Science: Fascinating color-shift phemonenon...

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 10 21:22:12 PST 2004

It's most likely the garlic that turned Adamantius's "curry" blue, not
the onions. It's a known result and you can find it on hundreds of
university extension and food websites. The reaction can occur with
trace copper in tap water, lemon juice, butter, various acids, etc. It
happens to peoples pickles all the time. (You can also find the "why did
my pickles turn blue" on tons of websites along with "my garlic turned a
bright blue-green".)