Challenge of history was Re: [Sca-cooks] making ahead and freezing...

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 18:16:44 PST 2004

--- Bill Fisher <liamfisher at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is supposed to be a leisure time activity.  If your idea of
> recreation is blisters
> and callouses for the folks doing the prep work for you, then sure, go for it.

I have to echo this sentiment.  My motto is 'Do as much as I can reasonably do without killing
myself or someone else'.  If the amount of work involved becomes too extreme, then this whole
thing tends to lose it's appeal.  Absolute authenticity, from soup to nuts, is perfectly fine for
an A&S entry, and should be encouraged....however, these feasts are rarely held in a facility with
a kitchen, and even then they are they are even more rarely held in an authentic medieval kitchen.
 And, I don't care if you grew the wheat, ground it into flour, and made it into dough using
period techniques... if you bake it in a gas oven, then you've got no room to criticize the guy
who uses store-bought flour or any other modern convenience.  All anyone can reasonably ask is
that an effort is made, at some point... anyone who asks anything more should probably look
inwardly, and make absolutely certain that THEY are doing everything up-to-snuff.  "Hello,
Kettle?...This is Pot....You're Black!!"

William de Grandfort
I don't make my own fabric, or grow my own wheat... so sue me.

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.