Challenge of history was Re: [Sca-cooks] making ahead and freezing...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Dec 10 20:27:42 PST 2004

> I have to echo this sentiment.  My motto is 'Do as much as I can reasonably do without killing
> myself or someone else'.  If the amount of work involved becomes too extreme, then this whole
> thing tends to lose it's appeal.  Absolute authenticity, from soup to nuts, is perfectly fine for
> an A&S entry, and should be encouraged

Brangwayna, you win. :) We have a here a complete statement of the type
that Brangwayna complains about, relegating authenticity to the A&S
exhibit only.

Now, I don't see that there's any criticism implied in Nick's post (the
original one), in which he chooses to do things a certain way to get the
medieval feel of the kitchen. Others may choose to do things a different
way.

I think we do have to draw a line between quantitity feast cooking,
where period methods are more difficult to achieve, and where we should
quite reasonably look up to those who choose to use period methods and
still produce high quality food in quantity; and small quantity cooking,
either for research or other purposes. But of course that doesn't mean
that using such methods should be restricted to A&S entries... I
personally would feel very uncomfortable trying more authentic cooking
methods for the first time with the expectation of producing an A&S
entry on the first try!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_