[Sca-cooks] pantler knife/chaffer knife

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 18:19:43 PST 2004

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

> This is rather interesting.  I've read all of
> the sources people have given,
> but I didn't catch all of the variations.
> Makes me wonder if these
> variations are geographic or temporal.  I may
> need to investigate the
> workings of the pantry after I get the paper on
> simnels out of the way.
>
> Bear

Terence Scully has a completely different set
of duties for a pantler than are listed in
the British works, in his "The Art of Cookery in
the Middle Ages."  So there must be some
variations on the continent not seen in Britain.
See pgs. 172, 243-254 & 250-251.  Unfortunately,
these are too many pages for me to type in.
Unfortunately no mention of chaffer knives at
all.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.