[Sca-cooks] pantler knife/chaffer knife

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adelphi.edu
Sun Dec 12 05:05:13 PST 2004

>This is rather interesting.  I've read all of the sources people
>have given, but I didn't catch all of the variations.  Makes me
>wonder if these variations are geographic or temporal.

Let me re-state more briefly the question that occurred to me in the
course of my previous post on the subject:

Is there any known source for the terms "chaffer" or "mensal knife"
other than Fabulous Feasts and copies therefrom?

If not, then we have two possibilities: those terms appear only in
some obscure primary source that Cosman read thirty years ago but
nobody since has checked into, or those terms appear only in Cosman's
imagination.  We're in the same boat as on a lot of the recipes.  But
for many of the recipes, there's reason to believe she just made them
up to illustrate her theme of medieval cooks liking visual illusion
and spectacle, whereas these two terms are so specific, and don't
seem to help grind any particular axe, that one thinks they must have
come from somewhere.  Fortunately, Cosman does give a list of primary
sources she checked; unfortunately, there are hundreds of them, the
citations aren't tied to any particular chapter of the book, and many
of them are (or were) in obscure collections.

--
                                     John Elys
          (the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
                                 sbloch at adelphi.edu