[Sca-cooks] Hard Liquor ingredients

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 10 19:51:42 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I have misplaced my link to the ATF regulation, but I am sure that Phlip,
> and, or Avraham, or several others on this list have it close to hand. It
> is a topic that has come up many times on this list, and several brewing
> and distilling lists that I am on.
> JehanYves

I don't have mine either- lost it some time ago in a crash, and couldn't
find it when I did a cursory search of SCA Distilling, but I think I'll
quote one post:

"In addition, the ATF laws have a mandatory enforcement provision
which is particularly viscious.

"If the ATF came across a hobby distiller with a 1-quart still, and it
was apparent that the person was obviously not a commercial moonshiner,one
would expect the prosecutors to decide not to press charges as it is
obviously not worth their time. Yet the mandatory enforcement provision
prevents them from exercising common sense and declining to prosecute. Hence
a person doing something that should be their right to do and causing no
harm to anyone else is likely going to jail for a long time and losing a lot
of money, all because they failed to pay a couple dollars of excise tax,
when the feds make it impossible for the person to pay it in the first
place.

Given the high penalties, the number of penalties (lets see, constructing
the still, concealing the still, operating the still, etc. all as separate
offenses, each worth 5 years in prison + hefty fine), and mandatory
enforcement, the risks to hobby distilling in the US are insane.

This whole issue about spreading misinformation about the legality of
distillation in the SCA really touches a raw nerve. I can easily envision
a naive Scadian having his or her life destroyed, all because that person
chose to trust someone who says "Distilling is legal so long as you don't
sell it."

Ryan"

Saint Phlip,
CoD