[Sca-cooks] Hard Liquor ingredients

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 11 06:36:09 PST 2004

> --- "jehan.yves" <jehan.yves at signofthetiger.com> wrote:
>
>> At 07:27 PM 12/10/2004, you wrote:
>> >Cold distllation.is a wonderful thing.
>>
>> Unfortunately, Quite illegal!
>

> Illegal??  Not in my neighborhood.  If I were to sell the distilled
> liquor, then I might have a
> problem, but the ABC has no jurisdiction over alcohol production for
> personal use, other than a
> limit to the amount which can be brewed at home each year.  I can cold
> distill anything I want.
> Besides, even if the government were to try to pass some kind of law
> regarding ice distillation of
> homebrew, how would they know????
>
> William de Grandfort

You're wrong.  It is illegal.  Federal law permits the production of 200
gallons (IIRC) of alcoholic beverage produced by simple fermentation per
person (adult and meeting the requirement of the statute).  Such production
requires a tax permit.  When you distill the product of the simple
fermentation by any means you overreach the authority of your tax permit and
are required to have a distillers permit and to pay taxes on the distillate.
If you don't pay the taxes, you are violating the law.  If you do pay the
taxes, but don't have a distillers permit, you are violating the law.

Then, as you are violating federal tax law, you are obviously violating
state tax law concerning an alcoholic beverage, the state ABC does have
jurisdiction.

How would they know?  How many people do you know who would love to cause
you grief with nothing more than a phone call?

Bear