Challenge of history was Re: [Sca-cooks] making ahead and freezing...

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Sat Dec 11 09:17:27 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:55:06 -0500
  Bill Fisher <liamfisher at gmail.com> wrote:

> Depends on your facilities you have at hand.  If you
>have a complete kitchen at
> your disposal the entire day of the feast, sure.  If you
>only have it
> for five or so hours
> before the feast (as has happened to myself) either
>cook/freeze ahead
> or plan a menu
> that can be cooked in 5 hours.  I have worked under both
>situations
> presented here.

as have i although the totally cooked onsite feasts were
for about 80 folks.

i worked a feast where people were still gringing/stuffing
sausages at the feast hall that morning.

i definitely prefer the freeze some stuff ahead.  like the
10 gallons of broth of thyme (which needs lots of cooking
time) i am doing this week.

it allows the kitchen to maintain an easier and steadier
pace.  it circumvents the rare chicken accidents when the
stove dies.  and it gives the kitchen staff some break
time to go and enjoy a bit of the event.  it gives a bit
more time to spend on presentation.

the only people on 24/7 (so to speak) are me and the
dishwasher, and only because he insists he be.

and i get lots of people wanting to work with me again,
which is great.

cailte
hard boiling 200 eggs at home, but stuffing them at the
event
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
University of New Mexico
Office of Freshman Admisions