Challenge of history was Re: [Sca-cooks] making ahead and freezing...

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 13 11:05:42 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>
> I have to echo this sentiment.  My motto is 'Do as much as I can reasonably do without killing
> myself or someone else'.  If the amount of work involved becomes too extreme, then this whole
> thing tends to lose it's appeal.  Absolute authenticity, from soup to nuts, is perfectly fine for
> an A&S entry, and should be encouraged

<<SNIP>>
Now, I don't see that there's any criticism implied in Nick's post (the
original one), in which he chooses to do things a certain way to get the
medieval feel of the kitchen. Others may choose to do things a different
way.
-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Didn't mean to pull a pin out of a grenade and not watch it go :o)  Absolutely no criticism intended in my mention of challenging self.  The statement about as much as can reasonably do is exactly the sentiment I was describing.  As one gets more competent and confident in skills and knowledge, that "reasonably do" amount should change.  For me, I pushed the venelope of my development by reducing and/or avoiding do-ahead that did not fit my understanding of the menu and foodstuffs.  I also build menues around seasonably available foods when practical.

I do feute the idea that all manor kitchens had huge armies of scullery slaves to produce all meals, and with someone in every position of service that is in 1500's french literature.  A Kitchen of a Lord of moderate to meager means would be radically different than that of the Duke of Naples.  That's where I find the fun in looking for what may or may not have been availble as resources (time, money, labor) for a Massive and Wealthy Dukedom versus a Noble landholder with much smaller holdings who may have to entertain a surprise group of 75 of 100 for the feast day.

It is all about what one is willing and able to challenge oneself with.  I will never raise, slughter and butcher my own lambs, but I have gotten to the whole carcasse over live coals and learning carving.  That is the lmiit of my personal challenge right now for roasting lamb.  I may go further one day . . . in the mean time, there is all that eel to figure out . . .  and the myriad BlancMange.  Every step on the journey can lead to enrichment and growth, whatever that step is.

(PS only one site has had a four deck Blodgett bakery oven . . . opulent to say the least)

Nick Sasso