[Sca-cooks] Wyoming....WAS Re Holiday Potlucks

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Sun Dec 12 04:57:36 PST 2004

On 2004.12.12 04:11, Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/11/2004 9:38:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> kerrimart at mindspring.com writes:
>
> <<WHY do people run out and buy perishables right before a storm when
> they
> *know* that the power is going to go out and everything in the fridge
> will
> go bad?!?!?!?>>

> No, the issue Laurensa is talking about is that if the word "snow"
> appears in the forecast, even if it is followed by the word
> "flurries", people here in South Central PA make the automatic
> assumption that everything in town is going to be shut down for at
> least the next three or four days, nobody will be able to get to a
> shopping center, and the trucks that deliver the food to the shopping
> center won't get through either.

In 1990, I think it was, we had a windstorm here in western Washington
state that wasn't predicted to be much, but turned out to be a doozy.
It put the power out in my area for about a month.  Ever since then, I
have to admit to feeling a bit of fear when I hear there's a windstorm
coming.  This area was pretty rural at the time, and we all live on
septic systems and wells.  So imagine a month without heat, cooking,
toilets, running water, showers...

Needless to say, I have a generator now.  I don't run out and buy food
unless I hear we are going to get deep snow.  At my parents' place
we've gotten snows that have closed us off for weeks, so we do tend to
stock up.  After even the mildest of windstorms or snowstorms we have
to clear at least 2 or three fallen trees out of our roadways and only
trucks can make the journey out after the clearing.  Maybe people hear
stories like ours and think they will experience the same thing?  Sort
of a wannabe pioneer complex?

Aelianora de Wintringham
Barony of Dragon's Laire
Kingdom of AnTir