[Sca-cooks] Wyoming....WAS Re Holiday Potlucks

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 05:16:36 PST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:11:55 EST, Bronwynmgn at aol.com <Bronwynmgn at aol.com> wrote:
> No, the issue Laurensa is talking about is that if the word "snow" appears in
> the forecast, even if it is followed by the word "flurries", people here in
> South Central PA make the automatic assumption that everything in town is going
> to be shut down for at least the next three or four days, nobody will be able
> to get to a shopping center, and the trucks that deliver the food to the
> shopping center won't get through either.

My most famous words uttered on grocery day when I lived up there.  "I
would have picked up the groceries, but they forecast snow for the week."

> In the last 20 years I can remember about 4 snowfalls that caused a situation
> like that.  Most of the time we get an inch or so at once and the roads are
> clear within an hour or so afterwards.  Six inches may cause some very rural
> side roads to be impassable for up to 24 hours, especially if we get drifting
> (it's amazing how quickly 6 inches of wind-driven, already fallen snow can fill
> up a road between two fields after the plow has just gone by).
>
> Mind you, these are the same people who will happily go out and drive around
> at full speed in their SUVs during an ice storm, because "I've got 4-wheel
> drive!".
>
> Brangwayna

I love those people.  You'll see them fly by you at full speed and
then you wind up
pulling off the road to see if they need any help after they have
sailed into the ditch.

I think people expect the blizzard of 91 (I think it was 91) when we received
three feet of snow in Northern PA with drifts up to 10 feet tall.  Southern PA
got pegged pretty hard then too. We were shut down for a few days then.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson