[Sca-cooks] shopping shyness?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Dec 12 09:57:45 PST 2004

> > And according to Wm Blackfox, it's a short step from there to "Yeh. Death
> > of a Salesman!" (Being the answer to the 'Are you in a play?' question..._
> >
> I heard the filp side of that question years back.  It seemed that some
> members were in garb on campus at LSU for roles as crowd extras in a
> Shakspearian play.  They were walking across campus when someone came up to
> them and said are you in the SCA?  They replied no we are in a play and then
> fell down laughing.

A few years back at an EKU, we were getting changed in the ladies' room
across from the school stage (where they were, indeed, rehearsing a
play; there was also a wrestling match going on...) and one of the
non-SCA people using the restroom asked someone in full Elizabethan
whether we were in a play. She said, "Yes. Oklahoma." I didn't find it
quite as disturbing that they bought it-- except for the lady in full
Armenian dress standing next to her.

(And yes, sometimes, "Are you in a play" is a reasonable question. But
then, I'm just not as shy as most people and will happily go to the
grocery, bank, etc. in SCA clothes-- mostly people seem not to notice. I
figure that people have just as much right to look at me in funny
clothes as I have to gawp wistfully at some of the lovely fabrics people
make saris of, etc.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_