[Sca-cooks] Soap stone dishes & bowls - a question

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Dec 12 10:58:14 PST 2004

Was written:

> During my afternoon shopping endevour to conquer the Evil Beast of Giftmas
> Descending, I discovered that our Oxfam World shop have some lovely
> soapstone dishes in stock.
>
> They're the perfect size to be used for drinking cups for my viking honey
> but I wasn't sure if soapstone could be used for that sort of use.
>
> Can anyone advise me on this? - does soapstone react badly to such things
as
> mead or ale or ?

Soapstone previously was much valued because it is non-reactive, resistant
to high heat and easy to work.  I work of the Florida Geological Survey and
our building, specifically built for the Survey back in the early 50's has,
in its older unrenovated portions still has soapstone sinks and countertops
that have been proof against chemical spills for years.  That being said I
cannot say if the soapstone you have does not have an admixture of asbestos
fiber in it.

Daniel