[Sca-cooks] Soap stone dishes & bowls - a question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 12 22:26:03 PST 2004

Was written:
 > During my afternoon shopping endevour to conquer the Evil Beast of
Giftmas
 > Descending, I discovered that our Oxfam World shop have some lovely
 > soapstone dishes in stock.
 >
 > They're the perfect size to be used for drinking cups for my viking
honey
 > but I wasn't sure if soapstone could be used for that sort of use.
 >
 > Can anyone advise me on this? - does soapstone react badly to such
things as
 > mead or ale or ?
No, soapstone will not react with food items. If untreated it can
absorb liquids. This is something you have to be careful of when using
it for casting. Having moisture in the pores of a mold and pouring in
molten brass can cause the moisture to explode catastrophically, for
instance. Most of the soapstone in counters has been heat treated
and/or sealed. Something similar can probably be done to utensils. This
hardening process also makes the counter scraps a poor choice for
soapstone molds, but if that is all you have access to, it can be
carved.

The biggest concern with soapstone is the chance that it might contain
asbestos fibers. This is going to be much more of a concern if you are
sanding or carving the soapstone than simply cooking in it. As with
other materials, such as wood or pottery, be careful of rough spots
which can trap food and such and thus give breeding grounds for the bad
beasties.

Any warnings that I've come across would likely have been put in this
file in the CRAFTS section of the Florilegium:
soapstone-msg     (25K)  7/23/04    Use of Soapstone in period. Modern
sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/soapstone-msg.html

Stefan
--------