[Sca-cooks] Lamb curry recipe

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Dec 12 18:07:19 PST 2004

Also sprach Phlip:
>I'm in the mood for lamb curry, but I can't find my Curry book, and all the
>onesa I've found on the 'Net seem to want to use either margarine, or curry
>powder. I want something that uses Real Food (tm), and rather than invent a
>recipe, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has one with ingredients that will
>suit my prejudices and cupboard.
>
>I have- lamb (shoulder chops), fresh apples, several dried fruits
>(definitely apricots- can't find the raisins), coconut milk and Thai Red
>Curry Paste. Anybody got a recipe for me?

Did you figure it out?

One thing that confuses/phases me is the fact that you seem to be
combining Thai curry paste (and coconut milk) and dried fruit, which
always seemed to me to be a small percentage Indian and a high
percentage English. Although one of my favorite curries, as a kid,
was one my mom made from a recipe she got out of the newspaper, and
it involved browning chicken with onions, adding chopped apples,
curry powder and tomato sauce, bringing it all to a boil and
simmering for about 20 minutes. This is served with rice and chopped
nuts (peanuts, coconut, whatever) and raisins.

Seems to me, you'd put a couple TBS of oil in a pan, add a dollop of
curry paste, according to the strength you tend to like, stir to
incorporate the oil and the paste, add the coconut milk, simmer until
the oil begins to break out again, then add the lamb and "fry" a bit.
Don't really need to brown it; it kinda cooks in that oil and in the
end you probably won't notice a difference...  the meat'll release
juice and thin the sauce down a bit, but then you cook it until the
oil shows up again.

If you want that fruit in there, maybe put the apple in after the
meat, then throw your dried fruit in at or near the end?

A.

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04