[Sca-cooks] Holiday Recipes

Leah Adams mogbane at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 19:25:55 PST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:29:37 -0800, lilinah at earthlink.net
<lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:

*snip*

> While i certainly don't expect everyone to eat dinner composed
> entirely of gourmet food with everything made from scratch, i am
> surprised by the vast array of things involving Jell-O and Cool Whip.
>
> Some make me shudder - astonishing (and to me inedible) things
> involving Twinkies, among them. I e-mailed a few recipes to my
> ex-consort, and last night he told me he had been served one of them
> at his Thanksgiving dinner by his "rural white-trash" (his words)
> relatives in Oklahoma from whence both his parents came - it involved
> Cool Whip, instant butterscotch pudding, canned pineapple, and
> marshmallows.

*snip*

> Anahita

Just wait until you get served one of those revolting Jello dishes
that has all that, and mayonnaise! It's...surprising, to say the
least. I was dating this gentleman, and we always used to chide his
mother on her cooking, which was....tacky. If you've ever seen the
comedy sketch of the gentleman describing the perfect bbq for his
white bread (bred) family, white bread, mayonnaise, bologna, spam,
etc. ad nauseum ad infinitum, then you've got an idea of her cooking.
It wasn't bland, it was...kitschy, 50's perfection. Thanksgiving rolls
around. The food is ok, nothing to write home about or rave about, but
edible. Dessert time. She pulls out this Jello mold with fruit and
marshmallows and what I thought was marshmallow creme or whipped
topping on the top of it. (Yes, as a topping.) Ok, I've got a sweet
tooth, I'll bite. I get a bite with lots of "marshmallow creme"...and
was horrified to taste a big glob of mayonnaise in my mouth, along
with all the sweet. I actually had to discreetly spit it into my
napkin. I haven't been able to eat Jello since then, and that was ten
years ago. I asked my boyfriend what in the world was up with the
dessert. He got a horrified look on his face and apologized profusely.
He'd forgotten to warn me to steer clear of the dessert. She did it
every year, wouldn't accept any criticism of it, and no one ate it. He
apologized for a week.

Leah/Samira