[Sca-cooks] SCA article in Chicago Tribune

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Dec 12 22:31:02 PST 2004

Johnna Holloway wrote:

> There was an article on the SCA in today's Sunday
> 12/12/04 Chicago Tribune. Section 13 page 3.
>
> QUALITIES OF LIFE SCENE is the heading. It features
> the Shire of Vanished Wood near Chicago.
>
> Middle Age Crazy

[snip]

> By Patrick Kampert Tribune staff reporter
> Published December 12, 2004
>
> Thwack!

[snip]

> Johnnae llyn Lewis

After reviewing the article, I see that it is not written
in a negative way to make the SCA look bad, goofy, ...

The tone is somewhat positive, with these statements,

	"hobby is really all about the friendships"

	"develop a love of history ... but it's the
	friendships that keep them coming back"

	"convivial bunch and personified the richness
	of the re-enactors community"

It even closed by giving contact information "For more
info on the Shire of Vanished Wood, call ..." and gave
the name and telephone number of the Event Steward.

According to the web site for The Shire of Vanished Wood,
the event in the article, "The Feast of All Souls;
Carnival in Italy" took place on November 13, 2004.

However, I was somewhat surprised by the large number of
somewhat misleading statements in the article.

I'm trying to list all of the points in the article that
seemed inaccurate to me. Please let me know if you don't
agree with these comments.

"20-pound helmets" -- FALSE

"most of the weapons use bendable rattan instead of more
solid woods" -- FALSE; should have been "all of the
weapons" since (IIRC) heavy list uses *only* rattan

"weapons ... are covered with duct tape" -- FALSE;
should have been, "weapons ... are wrapped in fiber tape
and covered with duct tape" and mentioned safety

"Daniel ... Yehoshua ben Israel, looked every bit the
musketeer" -- true/false? (musketeers - 1700's, Cavalier)

" ... brought their own authentic wooden tableware"
true/false? (I have never heard anyone in the SCA make a
claim (or provide documentation) that we consider wooden
plates as authentic)

no mention of (volunteer) service

no mention of research

no mention of documentation

no mention of teaching

no mention of resources for newcomers (Chatelaine)

no mention of creating a persona backed by research

no mention of the global membership; 18 kingdoms, ...

no specific mention of attendees being expected to dress
in period garb

no mention of the training needed (IIRC, 6 months) to
become authorized as heavy weapons or light weapons
fighters

no mention of: safety, armor inspection, weapons
inspection, Marshalls, Chirurgeons

no mention of combat for "Honor and Glory" nor that the
outcome of a combat is determined by accepting a 'good hit'

As I said above, please let me know if you don't agree with
these comments.

I don't know how many of you have attended Lord Alexander's
Pennsic class on "Media Contacts with the SCA".

One of the things he emphasizes is that we should _always_
have a 'press kit' (actually several copies) ready to give
out at each event.  That way we can provide members of the
press with accurate information.

We know a press kit will not guarantee that every newspaper
article written will be 100% accurate -- but it should halt
or at least act as a speed bump to some of the wild guesses
and misstatements.

I am,
Lord Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick