[Sca-cooks] SCA article in Chicago Tribune

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 13 06:46:27 PST 2004

> I'm trying to list all of the points in the article that
> seemed inaccurate to me. Please let me know if you don't
> agree with these comments.
>
> "20-pound helmets" -- FALSE

Depends on the helm, I think. I've seen some helms that heavy.

> "most of the weapons use bendable rattan instead of more
> solid woods" -- FALSE; should have been "all of the
> weapons" since (IIRC) heavy list uses *only* rattan

Nope. Spears are fiberglass.

> "weapons ... are covered with duct tape" -- FALSE;
> should have been, "weapons ... are wrapped in fiber tape
> and covered with duct tape" and mentioned safety

They are in fact covered with duct tape. That's not all  they have on,
but they are covered with duct tape

> "Daniel ... Yehoshua ben Israel, looked every bit the
> musketeer" -- true/false? (musketeers - 1700's, Cavalier)

He might have been dressed in Cavalier, sure.

> " ... brought their own authentic wooden tableware"
> true/false? (I have never heard anyone in the SCA make a
> claim (or provide documentation) that we consider wooden
> plates as authentic)

a) I have heard people say so;
b) _Dinner is Served_ by Gerard Brett (lousy text, good illustrations)
depicts on p. 76: "Set of small trenchers with box, sycamore... English,
about 1600.

Wooden bowls and cups predate these.

> no mention of (volunteer) service

Yes, there was mention of the people who volunteered to run it.

> no mention of teaching

"classes in weaving and medieval Italian cooking"

> no mention of creating a persona backed by research

 "For me, personally, being Jewish, the society gives me a chance to
teach people about a side of the Middle Ages that wasn't so nice: the
Crusades," he said. "I'm able to give back to the society in that
manner."

> no mention of the training needed (IIRC, 6 months) to
> become authorized as heavy weapons or light weapons
> fighters

There is no specific timeperiod required of training. One of our newer
members is a modern fencer-- she authorized on her first time in armor,
which was her first event.

> As I said above, please let me know if you don't agree with
> these comments.

I don't. I think the information, as it stands, wasn't misleading. It's
actually a great article.

> I don't know how many of you have attended Lord Alexander's
> Pennsic class on "Media Contacts with the SCA".

I've attended it. Please be aware that Lord Alexander has some serious
issues at the moment...

This was a great article, it was very accurate, and the only thing that
really peeved me was something that the bloody feast cook did to us:

" She ran an efficient kitchen at the fairgrounds, though she skipped
the centuries-old garb for a T-shirt and jeans to run the operation and
supervise her crew."

I HATE this. There's no reason why you can't run a feast in t-tunic and
pants, or t-tunic and skirt. Everyone can go ahead and argue with me,
but I don't feel there's any excuse for people to be cooking at an event
without some attempt at pre-17th century clothing. Borrow something out
of gold key that's already falling apart if you have to! I don't care
WHAT they told you in cooking school, it IS possible to make a bow to
period clothing without sacrificing safety-- the cook's jacket and pants
is NOT the only safe way to cook.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_