[Sca-cooks] pantler knife/chaffer knife

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Dec 13 08:22:49 PST 2004

I am still catching up on e-mails and haven't done much more with this
subject.
I did check and for what it is worth  Cosman does include chaffer
in her volume titled Medieval Wordbook (Facts on File, 1996).
There she says:
chaffer
A knife for cutting large bread loaves; in a PANTRY, it was generally
wielded
in association with a parer and TRENCHER knife for smoothing edges of
edible bread platters.

pantry
A room, closet, or cabinet for storing bread and creating TRENCHERS.

trenchers is a long definition that goes into what is served upon the bread.

No sources listed as to where she got this exact definition. She
mentions only
a few sources in the  acknowledgements, but somehow looking in Anglo-Indian
coolquial words, Black' Law Dictionary, or the others mentioned seems
unlikely
to aid us in this question regarding "chaffers."

Johnnae