[Sca-cooks] SCA article in Chicago Tribune

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 14:12:39 PST 2004

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa wrote:
>This was a great article, it was very accurate, and the only thing that
>really peeved me was something that the bloody feast cook did to us:
>" She ran an efficient kitchen at the fairgrounds, though she skipped
>the centuries-old garb for a T-shirt and jeans to run the operation and
>supervise her crew."
>
>I HATE this. There's no reason why you can't run a feast in t-tunic and
>pants, or t-tunic and skirt. Everyone can go ahead and argue with me,
>but I don't feel there's any excuse for people to be cooking at an event
>without some attempt at pre-17th century clothing. Borrow something out
>of gold key that's already falling apart if you have to! I don't care
>WHAT they told you in cooking school, it IS possible to make a bow to
>period clothing without sacrificing safety-- the cook's jacket and pants
>is NOT the only safe way to cook.

I agree with you.

I always wear, always have worn, garb in an SCA feast kitchen. I
really don't see a reason not to. My garb is mostly linen with a few
pieces in cotton (yes, i'm aware of flammability issues). I have a
few wool tunics, but wear them when it's cold out and haven't felt a
need for them with several ovens running, at least 3 big burners
blazing, and the griddle surface hot enough to keep a few pots
simmering.

I require that all my cooks have their hair up and covered - for
example, the so called "Flemish turban", a simple and snug cloth head
wrap, keeps long hair out of trouble.

I confess to wearing modern shoes generally at events (i hope not
screamingly modern), usually black leather t-straps or mary janes,
occasionally red leather clogs. I don't even own a pair of modern
sports shoes, since i haven't yet found a pair that fit - adult shoes
are too big, and children's shoes are too wide. I understand that
some folks have foot issues and find these most comfortable. I can
understand   wearing shoes with modern support and cushioning in the
kitchen, especially since i'm usually on my feet from 8 AM until
about 10 PM, sometimes midnight. I usually bring at least one pair of
additional shoes, since changing shoes seems to reduce pain a bit, by
shifting pressure points.

If one normally wears 16th c. European clothing, one might prefer to
make something simpler to wear in the kitchen, but i don't see a
reason to wear T-shirt and jeans. I have for a long time (like
starting back in the 1970s when i was thin) felt that i have greater
mobility in skirts than pants (much more hip flexibility, for
example). Probably best to avoid skirts that drag on the floor or big
drapy sleeves, though.

Anahita