[Sca-cooks] SCA article in Chicago Tribune

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 13 14:22:57 PST 2004

> I require that all my cooks have their hair up and covered - for
> example, the so called "Flemish turban", a simple and snug cloth head
> wrap, keeps long hair out of trouble.

Someday I will learn to make this work and stay up. I'm old enough that
I should be covering my hair even when I'm single... I just have a great
deal of trouble making anything other than a circlet or hairband stay on
my hair. Mostly I bind the stuff up in braids and hope.

> I confess to wearing modern shoes generally at events

I tend to, also. I don't see anything wrong with wearing sneakers or
other types of non-period shoes in the kitchen, in fact I'm only asking
for an attempt at period clothing, not full out garb for those who don't
feel comfy cooking in garb.

I tend to wear medievaloid shoes in the kitchen and my staff has to
remind me to wear shoes at all if I'm doing an outside dayboard, since I
have shoe-repellent feet. I don't recommend this for others, not least
because the Board of Health objects!

> If one normally wears 16th c. European clothing, one might prefer to
> make something simpler to wear in the kitchen, but i don't see a
> reason to wear T-shirt and jeans. I have for a long time (like
> starting back in the 1970s when i was thin) felt that i have greater
> mobility in skirts than pants (much more hip flexibility, for
> example).

*grin* There's not much more frustrating than trying to grab the oven
edge with your skirt as a potholder only to realize that you are wearing
jeans. :)

After watching a young lady spill hot coffee down her leg and get badly
burned before she could shuck 'em off, I prefer layers of skirts. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_