[Sca-cooks] Cooks garb (was SCA article in Chicago Tribune)

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 17:08:33 PST 2004

Our head cook was wearing a full sleeved chemise during the feast (probably 36"-45" around the arm), although I think she wore smaller sleeves, perhaps even short, during the day.  And another cook, who served as well, wore what she called her Italian "hussie" outfit.  Must beg indulgences here.  I am not truly familiar with European costuming.  Here in Caid it is often hot, and this particular Italian was a sleeveless affair, a bit like a jumper, worn with a chamise with sleeves.  Since to be "proper" it should have had sleeves, the term "hussie" was applied.  Her chemise had very full sleeves, but she undid the drawstring at the wrist, then pinned the sleeve edge (where a cuff would be in a regular shirt) to the top of the shoulderseam.  This gave a very periodish effect, and since this lady is particularly well researched, it may well have been done in period, and most importantly kept the sleeves out of the food.  I think both ladies were in the infamous mud-length skirts, but
 they may have pulled them up on one side...  The day is a bit blurry at this point.

Samrah

PS  As to flamability, yes cotton burns; polyester melts, but it seems most mundane professional cooks are generally dressed in cotton.

Anahita wrote:

[snipped]
>I always wear, always have worn, garb in an SCA feast kitchen. I
really don't see a reason not to. My garb is mostly linen with a few
pieces in cotton (yes, i'm aware of flammability issues).

[snipped again]
>Probably best to avoid skirts that drag on the floor or big
drapy sleeves, though.