[Sca-cooks] Boar vs. Pig

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 16 10:02:48 PST 2004

Phlip wrote:

>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu... (bless you!)
>

>>So, without reference to social behavior, can someone tell me what the
>>difference is between pigs, wild pigs, and boars?
>>
>>Aoghann
>>

>Like all sexully mature and uncastrated male animals, a true boar will tend
>to be stronger flavored with tougher connective tissues, so stronger spicing
>and slow cooking methods are usually required. Most pork we get in this
>country comes from pigs- ie, immature animals, so be advised.

I am getting the boar shanks from D'Artagnan. Here is what they have in
the listing: " Wild boars are very lean and full flavored. Shanks are
best when braised or slow roasted. The boars roam vast parcels and
forage on wild greens, acorns and roots. It doesn't get more free range
than this. The meat has a mild, sweet, slightly nutty taste."

I also had boar ribs at a local restaurant, and it seemed closer to beef
than pork.