[Sca-cooks] Boar vs. Pig

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 16 09:52:21 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Greetings!
>
> I need some educational input. I was talking about slow roasting wild
> boar shanks with an orange & port glaze for part of my Christmas dinner,
> when a friend asked what the difference was between boar and the wild
> pigs they are shooting with abandon down in his area of South Georgia.
>
> Well, I don't have a clue.
>
> So, without reference to social behavior, can someone tell me what the
> difference is between pigs, wild pigs, and boars?
>
> Aoghann

A boar is a male of the porcine species, like a stallion is a male of the
equine species. Pigs are technically immature swine, although in a broader
sense, the term is used for any swine, regardless of gender or sexual
maturity or state of domestication, just as "cow" is used for cattle, when
the actual meaning is a mature female of the various species of cattle (and
a few other species, but I won't get into that).

Wild pigs are usually actually domesticated swine in this country who went
feral. There are, however, several varieties of swine which have never been
domesticated, although they've been imported, such as the Russian Wild Boar-
often, the word "boar" will (inaccurately) refer to any undomesticated
swine.

Like all sexully mature and uncastrated male animals, a true boar will tend
to be stronger flavored with tougher connective tissues, so stronger spicing
and slow cooking methods are usually required. Most pork we get in this
country comes from pigs- ie, immature animals, so be advised.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.