[Sca-cooks] 15th centure menus

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Dec 17 13:10:59 PST 2004

At 12:29 PM 12/17/2004, you wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I am looking for pointers to 15th century menus. Primarily in England &
>Scotland, but also other European capitals. I am working to understand how
>foods were paired (or combined if you will) into meals. Taking a
>suggestion from Mistress Irina (Baroness of Bryn Madoc) I would also be
>interested in pointers to information on the beliefs and attitudes
>regarding food during this period (cultural, religious, and health).

The _Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books_ is webbed at:

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/c/cme/cme-idx?type=header&idno=CookBk

It is untranslated, in the 15th c Middle English, but fortunately it it
reasonable easy to puzzle out. (Read out loud phonetically- it helps.) And
there are menus in there as well as recipes.

My only word of caution with the GodeCookery website- *Read the original
recipe first*. It may have been an isolated incident, but one recipe I
remember left ingredients out, substituted others, and had, instead of
saffron, yellow food coloring. (I was not impressed.)  Always double-check
sources.

'Lainie