[Sca-cooks] 15th centure menus

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Fri Dec 17 13:50:26 PST 2004

On Dec 17, 2004, at 3:29 PM, Lonnie D. Harvel wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I am looking for pointers to 15th century menus. Primarily in England
> & Scotland, but also other European capitals. I am working to
> understand how foods were paired (or combined if you will) into meals.
> Taking a suggestion from Mistress Irina (Baroness of Bryn Madoc) I
> would also be interested in pointers to information on the beliefs and
> attitudes regarding food during this period (cultural, religious, and
> health).

There are a whole bunch of menus in Menagier de Paris dates to the late
14th century, and the cooking of France in that time was very similar
to that in England.

Janet Hinson's translation is on Cariadoc's site at the following URL:
	http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier.html

A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye is mid 16th century, but it also has
menus.  It's online at Thomas Gloning's site:
	http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/bookecok.htm

I'm sure I can find other examples - I'll dig through my links and
cookbooks later tonight and see what I can find.

- Doc