[Sca-cooks] Onagers

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 17 16:37:51 PST 2004

Maybe I'd better add the rest of the citation:

> Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
> > I get jumpy when my frame has tension and takes impacts too.  I believe
> the
> > greek word for donkey is onus and it mutated into onager for the
English.

> > Cadoc
>
> Onus is actually "burden" in Latin. I may have migrated over from the
Greek,
> but if so it would more likely have been "onos"- the "us" suffix is
> distinctly Latin- masculine, singular, and nominative.
>
> Saint Phlip,
>

> Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
>
> One entry found for onager.
Main Entry: on·a·ger
Pronunciation: 'ä-ni-j&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, wild ass, from Latin, from Greek onagros, from
onos ass + agros field -- more at ACRE
1 : an Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager syn. E. onager) that usually
has a broad dorsal stripe and is related to the kiang
2 [Late Latin, from Latin] : a heavy catapult used in ancient and medieval
times