[Sca-cooks] Deep-fried mars bars

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 17 23:21:59 PST 2004

   William de Grandfort answered me with:
> --- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > Awk. Sounds a lot like those medieval fried cheese recipes. All *I*
> > ever got was a big, gooey mess.
> > Tasty, I guess. But not the kind of pretty dish you wish to place
> > before your patron.
>
> I have done deep-fried Snickers bars, wrapped in Buttermilk Doughnut
> dough, which turned out very
> nice, but I have not done Mars Bars with batter.  I would imagine a
> simple fritter batter (like
> that used for fruit fritters) would work admirably.
Oh! *dough*. Maybe that is the problem. I thought I was following the
recipe/redaction fairly closely, but what I had was fairly thin and
part of the problem was that it really was rather thin over the cheese
in various places. Time to go look at the recipes again. I think of a
batter as being thinner than a dough. Maybe I need something closer to
a dough than a batter.  Or maybe there is a bigger difference between
"dough" and "batter" than the amount of liquid? I really don't remember
the recipe(s) right now.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas