[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 18 17:12:32 PST 2004

I'm gonna agree that it's ok, providing you follow standard procedures to
cool things down before putting them in the 'icebox'.  The warm foods will
raise the temp inside the car, warming other foods.  As it isn't a
refrigeration unit with a fan evaporating moisture and heat, it won't
recover as quickly as a fridge.  This is true for normal refrigerated
storage, splitting big pots of stocks, soups, farinaceous vegetables, and
the like into smaller containers to cool down first, ice paddles, ice baths,
etc.
Where are you going to be serving, Aoghann?  I'm slated to serve brunch to
GI's moving through Hartsfield on Christmas Day with the USO and the ACF,
myself.
Christianna

I understood about the food being warm.  I guess I was wondering why (aside
from being a not normal food storage spot) having a hot casserole go into a
cold car overnight would be different from the hot casserole going into a
cold fridge?  Not that most of us would do that anyway since it would waste
electricity.

Not trying to be confrontational at all, just curious.

Regina