[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 20:47:03 PST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:49:18 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> It wouldn't be especially different, but that doesn't necessarily
> mean it would be safe. Then, there's the fact that we don't know
> whether we're talking about a two-quart casserole or several big ol'
> aluminum roasting pans of the stuff (I believe 350 servings were
> mentioned?). Are they stacked one directly on top of another? I'm
> mainly trying to consider the possible unsafe aspects of all possible
> scenarios, not because I love shooting things down, but rather
> because I love thinking outside the box, love food, love most people,
> and dislike food poisoning.

*adds some science*

The biggest concern is that the car is partially insulated to slow
the cooling or heating of the inside.   If you put a hot item in the
car to cool, it will take a long time to cool the item.  If you cool
it off first and then put it in the car, the car's design will help keep
it at the right temperature if it begins to warm up.

If you put a warm item in the car, it will raise the interior temperature
of the car, and the car's design would make it cool slowly, giving a longer
period at the times bacteria love the best. The car only has interaction
with the metal frame and windows to act as thermal transfer, and since it
relies on the outside temp, it is a static system.  The carpet, seats, and
padding in your car acts as insulation, plus any coatings the windows may
have to slow heat loss.

On the other hand, the fridge and freezer are dynamic cooling systems,
with a thermostat  and coolant punps that can increase cooling when a
hot item is introduced,cooling it faster.

Industrial fridges and freezers introduce a fan into the mix,
so the cold air gets circulated and  effectively increases the
exposure by moving
away warming air from the foods, so they chill more quickly.  Wind chill works
for more than just making you shiver.

The things I have to understand for my job....*sighs*

> >Not trying to be confrontational at all, just curious.
>
> Of course, and that is admirable. Questions show me people are listening! ;-)
>
> A.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson