[Sca-cooks] Holiday Cookies

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Sat Dec 18 21:06:53 PST 2004

My fervent apologies...
Friday was the day I was supposed to post these, but I rean in to some serious scheduling hassels, and this is my first time at the machine since noon Friday...

Anyway, here is the "approved" Fattigmann Cookie recipe from my "Norske" In-Laws. It has served me well.
Round my house it is just not Christmas without these:

FATTIGMANN BAKKELS (POOR MAN'S COOKIES)

8 egg yolks
4 oz sugar
5 fl oz whole cream(no substitutes)
2 tbsp brandy (or Cognac)
1 tsp cardamon-ground
      (Note from Elias: double or triple this amount if you are using supermarket cardamon, It is not usually very fresh, and it gets weak fast. Fresh cardamon is best if you can get it.)

approx. 10-12 oz flour AP

Crisco or simular (non flavored) to deep fry in (these cakes are prone to pick up any old flavor left in the frying pot)

Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick.
Whip cream until stiff and add carefully with
the brandy.Sift in 2/3 of the flour and all
the cardamon. Mix gently and carefully.
Cover dough with sifted flour cover with plastic
wrap and cool overnight in fridge.

Next day:
Roll out portions of the dough at the time,
VERY THINLY dusting with flour sparingly.
Cut into diamonds.
Here is where the hard part comes (as far as
explaining goes): In the center of each diamond
make a cut with a sharp knife about 1 inch
long. Gently take one of the pointed ends of
the diamond and pull through the cut - you will
end up with a twisted cake/cookie.

(Second note from Elias: In Scandinavia they use a kind of roller cutter which cuts the diamonds and slots doe several cookies at a time in a single operation. You can get this from Maid of Scandinavia, or Sweet celebrations whatever they call themselves these days. I vastly prefer using one.
http://www.sweetc.com/Cat/Set3/pr32lg.htm )

Drop the cake into hot oil, the cake will puff
when it hits the oil. Turn over when one
side has browned, they should be a golden brown
color when done, fry no more than 4-5 at a time.
Drain on paper. Sprinkle with Confectioners sugar
Store in air tight container.

Capt Elias
-Renaissance Geek of the Seven Seas

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery