[Sca-cooks] Onagers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 19 01:23:38 PST 2004

Bear commented:
> What an ungodly thought, playing hurling with trebuchets.  I can see
> squads
> of hurlers the size of linebackers pushing trebuchets the size of
> Bobcats
> through the mud.
It actually sounds like it could be quite interesting.
Maybe you could do it at Pennsic or a couple of baronies at an event
somewhere. You'd have to have a pretty large site though. Say a
quarter-mile by quarter-mile sized field. Maybe less if you were using
the four tennis ball SCA ammo. Bowling balls would work, and in less
space, but you wouldn't want to be where it came down. :-)

I doubt you would want to be moving the trebs up and down the field.
You've probably want them in various placed and ranged positions,
although you'd probably want to be able to turn them to point towards
various of your own trebs positioned down the field. You'd depend upon
your team members ranging across the field to get the "rock" to the
closest treb. It would have to be the "closest" treb of your team's to
keep someone from running the "rock" the entire distance.

While hurley in period, was known for its lack of rules, I think in
this case you would need a few. so that someone didn't get caught and
tossed by one of the trebs or catapults.

Maybe you'd want several "rocks" in action at once.

Careful though, wild thinking like this is what caused the Florilegium
Tile Project. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas