[Sca-cooks] Hurling OT was Onagers

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 19 09:42:34 PST 2004

While the game is sometimes referred to as hurley, the correct term is
hurling.  The hurley (caman) is the stick used in the game.

The game is fairly rough and tumble but there were and are rules, often
honored in the breach as in hockey and lacrosse.  The modern rules (without
getting into the specifics of positional play) are:

  1.. A player can run a maximum of four steps with the sliotar (ball) in
his/her hand.
  2.. A player may take as many steps as he/she wishes while carrying the
sliotar on the boss of the hurley.
  3.. A player may take the sliotar into his/her hand up to two times while
travelling in possesion.
  4.. The sliotar may not be thrown; the correct hand-pass technique must be
used.
  5.. The sliotar may not be picked directly from the ground; the roll-lift
or the jab-lift must be used.
  6.. A player who is in possesion may not score with his/her hand.
  7.. If the sliotar is in flight, a player may score by striking the ball
with his/her hand.
  8.. Three defenders may stand on the goal-line when a penalty is being
taken.
  9.. A free-puc is awarded when a defender strikes the ball over his/her
own endline.
  10.. Three points are equal to one goal.
Because the game is one of movement, stationary trebuchets would be an
anathema.  However, a bigger field and a bunch of firbolg might make for a
great show.

Bear