[Sca-cooks] Boar vs. Pig

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Sun Dec 19 17:47:43 PST 2004

What is hunted Down South is feral pig, for the most part.  While Texas
and Arkansas do have populations of javelina/peccary/razorbacks, the
Southeastern states, such as Georgia, the Carolinas, Alabama, etc. are
home to numerous feral pigs including not a few Russians.  They are
domesticated breeds gone feral after escaping the farm.

What makes feral pig (or any boar hunt) so dangerous is the tusks on the
boar.  The lower tusks are kept sharpened by grinding against the upper
tusks.  How sharp?  Wouldn't be surprised if you could give yourself a
rough shave with one.  A dominant boar protecting his territory can open
a man up from stem to stern with one pass.  To make matters worse, he
has hard, bony plates of cartilage protecting his vital organs, just
outside his ribs.  While deer and other large game in North America are
taken with soft-nosed bullets because of their expansion, it is best to
use a solid bullet with little-to-no expansion when taking feral pig.
Otherwise, you might just p*** him off, which you DON'T want to do.
Also, choose a cartridge that has enough range for you to be WAY far
away from the piggie when you shoot him.  Gives you time to reload, just
in case.

(According to Georgia Outdoor News, a hunting/fishing publication 'round
these parts, a family farm had been terrorized by a particular wild hog
for several years.  Many people had shot at the boar, all thinking they
had hit him, but he never went down.  One day, one of the teen-aged
young ladies of the family ran across him while she was in her truck.
She pulled out a .30-06 with old military surplus Full-Metal Jacket ammo
and shot him dead.  When they butchered him, they found several spent
bullets, mushroomed out and lodged just under the skin of the cartilage
plate.)

--Cian
Only Hunts Boar using Mundane, Modern Weapons