[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Dec 19 23:09:29 PST 2004

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> --- "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net> wrote:
>
> > I have seen a cook's toy which is a bottle made of food
> > grade plastic and shaped like a paddle.  Fill with water
> > ... freeze ... place into whatever you want to cool ...
>
> The same effect can be achieved much more economically by
> filling and freezing a leftover 1-litre soda bottle.
>
> William de Grandfort

Economical -- yes.

Tasty -- not quite right.

Safety -- uncertain.

The point is that a 1L soda bottle is not food grade
plastic; the label has to be removed to be sure the
outside is clean; you have to be sure you have cleaned
between the outside of the neck and the cap.  sometimes
the label has printing on the outside -- is it save for
the food you are trying to cool; how do you get that off?

In my "Beginning Cordial Making" class, I stress that
soda bottles are not suitable.  As another example,
Classico spaghetti jars (and some others) are equivalent
to canning jars ... but you need to use a new band and
lid -- you can't reuse the original lid/cap.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick