[Sca-cooks] food safe temperature

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 00:57:04 PST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:09:29 -0500, Martin G. Diehl <mdiehl at nac.net> wrote:
> Economical -- yes.
>
> Tasty -- not quite right.
>
> Safety -- uncertain.
>
> The point is that a 1L soda bottle is not food grade
> plastic; the label has to be removed to be sure the
> outside is clean; you have to be sure you have cleaned
> between the outside of the neck and the cap.  sometimes
> the label has printing on the outside -- is it save for
> the food you are trying to cool; how do you get that off?
>
> In my "Beginning Cordial Making" class, I stress that
> soda bottles are not suitable.  As another example,
> Classico spaghetti jars (and some others) are equivalent
> to canning jars ... but you need to use a new band and
> lid -- you can't reuse the original lid/cap.
>
> Vincenzo

Yeah, 'cause soda isn't technically food.

In this case you could just use a zip lock baggie full of ice
cubes and water.  They are microwave safe (most brands)
and food safe.  You could add salt to the mixture in the bag
to make it colder, but of you pop the bag, you've just re-
seasoned your food. Freezer bags would be the best for
this I figure.

You could also sit a metal or pyrex bowl in the pot with ice
in the bowl as well.

Or you could drop a few pounds of  dry ice in the pot.........and run!

You could scrape the cooled food off of your ceiling later.

That reminds me of one of my favorite pranks.

1 lb dry ice
laundry detergent
2 glow sticks
1 toilet

put the laundry soap in the toilet it should foam up and make a nice scum.
activate the glow sticks and break them open and pour just the liquid
on the soap and mix
add the dry ice and let it settle to the bottom.

In a few minutes you have your very own bubbly, glowy toxic waste
spill in a toilet.

Obviously this will not survive the first flush, but in a Pennsic portajohn?

You'll have a clean toilet on a party night!

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson